Tuesday, May 13, 2008

" ...pretty well, relatively normal."

It is hard to believe that a year has gone by now since we returned from Ukraine and I was diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer. People often ask me (Bonnie) how I'm doing or how I'm feeling these days. My reply is, "...pretty well, relatively normal." I thought I'd explain what is well or normal for me. I'm so thankful for God's grace to me that I can answer in this way, that I forget that I don't feel 100%. Less than 100% mainly is that my body aches all over every morning or after having sat for awhile - upon standing up. My joints are also pretty weak - kneeling down, opening a jar, carrying groceries, etc. are met with some pain. A half hour nap in the afternoon revives my energy. Hmmm...I think that's it. None of this is debilitating. I garden, cook, clean, helped in the church nursery, have friends over for lunch and even go on roller coaster rides with my guys at Magic Mtn ...and then rest.

I take arimidex daily, which is an estrogen blocker and have an aredia infusion once a month for my bones. I also take extra vitamins and supplements and try to exercise and eat healthily - not always succeeding.

How do I feeeeeeel? I (we) meet each doctor check up with some dread and anxiety, wondering if the test results will read that the cancer has begun to spread again. They are about every 2 months or so. Everything remains clear right now - thank you, Jesus - I know that's from You!, but you can pray for me to have Christ's perspective in meeting these check ups - I'm going to have them the rest of my life. One of my strongest emotions - I treasure Mark, Ben and Josh and thank the Lord for them.

Well, does that help? Thank you for caring...
'but He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.' 2 Corinthians 12:9

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you, Bonnie! You're such an AMAZING gift. I treasure you!!

Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

I appreciate you spelling this out, Bonnie, especially because you show your heart--that you are trusting God, and want to trust Him more. Wow! I appreciate your perspective so much!

Becky